REP. CALVERT PRAISES DECISION TO REQUIRE ALL FEDERAL CONTRACTORS TO USE E-VERIFY

April 8, 2009
Press Release
Today Congressman Ken Calvert (R-CA) commended the decision by President Bush to issue an executive order to require all federal contractors to ensure a legal workforce through the mandatory use of E-Verify.

"I commend the President for issuing the Executive Order requiring all federal contractors to use E-Verify," said Rep. Calvert. "Many of us in Congress have been urging the President to take this step and I'm pleased that federal contractors will now be required to ensure their workers are authorized to work in the U.S."

The Executive Order, which was Amending Executive Order 12989, was signed on Friday and announced today. Congressman Calvert authored the original legislation that created E-Verify. Rep. Calvert currently has two bills in Congress regarding E-Verify: H.R. 19 would make it mandatory for all employers and H.R. 5596 would extend the current program, which is set to expire November 30, 2008, for ten years.

E-Verify is web-based, accurate and timely. Employers can sign up through the website at www.dhs.gov/everify and verify that the name matches the Social Security number given on the I-9 form entirely online.

Through E-Verify, participating employers have successfully and instantly verified employment eligibility for 94.2% of new hires to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) database information. Of the remaining 5.8% that were not verified instantly, only .5% successfully contest the result. E-Verify is doing what it is intended to do: quickly verifying the status of those who are work authorized and those who are not. This process is done instantly 98% of the time, according to the latest Westat report.

There are currently over 68,000 employers representing 265,135 work sites, signed up to use E-Verify and at year to date, over 3.8 million queries were run through the program. On average, more than 1,000 new employers are joining each week.

On January 1, 2008, the State of Arizona began requiring all employers in the state to use the E-Verify program. Currently, over 20,000 employers in Arizona participate in the E-Verify program, representing more than 35,000 work sites.

###